Who said that muffins should be sweet only? With this delicious mushroom muffins recipe, you will enjoy an extraordinary savory appetizer.
Things to know about mushrooms
As you might already know, mushrooms are a type of fungus. In most countries, edible mushrooms are a product of farming and not the result of mushroom hunting. This activity is mostly famous in France and Italy, as most people are afraid of the poisonous mushrooms they avoid hunting for wild mushrooms.
Since there are many types of mushrooms, it is very difficult to analyze exactly their nutritional value. They consist, mostly, of water, carbohydrates, and proteins.
Keep in mind that you should never collect wild mushrooms if you do not know 100% that they are not poisonous.
Unbelievable Mushroom Muffins Recipe
So, now that we have established that we need to buy our mushrooms, from a local farmers market preferably, let’s take a look at how to make the most delicious mushroom muffins.
- 230 grams of all-purpose flour
- 200 grams of champignon mushrooms
- 100 grams of olive oil
- 100 grams of trimmed cheddar cheese
- 125 ml of milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 stalk of parsley
- 1 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 2 tsps of baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- Start by preheating the oven to 200° C (air function).
- Clean and chop the mushrooms before you sauté them in a small frying pan with a bit of olive oil.
- As soon as the mushrooms get their color (brownish), we season them and remove them from the fire. Put the mushrooms in a bowl and let them cool completely.
- Now, get a bowl and sieve the flour along with the baking powder and the salt.
- Once the mushrooms are cool, add them to the mixture. Also, add the parsley and mix well.
- Then, in another bowl, beat the egg. As soon as you beat the egg add the milk, the oil, and the parmesan cheese. Mix very well.
- Continue by pouring the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients; use a spatula to mix at the same time.
- Place the special muffin liners in the molds (cups) of a muffin tray and pour the mixture. Alternatively, you can use oil and a bit of flour for the molds instead of using muffin liners.
- Pour the mixture in the muffin tray cups and use a cheese grater to grate some more parmesan cheese on top.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake for 20 minutes, or check by inserting a toothpick, if it comes out clean the mushroom muffins are done.
- It is better to clean the mushrooms with a soft brush rather than using water. The reason is that the mushrooms absorb the water, which is something that we do not want.