After using the oven for a delicious meal, you are greeted by a lot of burned-on food that is stuck everywhere on the inside of the oven. Even the newer ovens with a self-cleaning program cannot eliminate the stubborn incrustations completely. What is the best way to clean oven, you might ask? Indeed there are a lot of helpful tips that can make the cleaning process so effortless.
There are a lot of good chemical oven cleaners, but also potent natural home remedy cleaners to make sure the oven and rack are sparkling clean. Remember, if you do not take care of the burned-on residue right away, it will become hard as a rock, and it is a challenge to remove it. No more annoying fat splashes with these useful and powerful tips:
Step 1: Prep your oven for cleaning
Before you grab your cleaning tools and start scrubbing, some prep work is necessary to make the cleaning process more comfortable and more effortless for you.
First, please remove all loose crumbs and also all removable parts of the oven. Common removable are the racks, the side grids, and the bottom heating grids.
Next, you can use a vinegar/water mix and soak the very stubborn burned-on residues for an hour to make it softer. Once the residue is a little bit softer due to the soaking process, wipe it clean with a kitchen towel or old rag.
Step 2: Clean the oven wire & baking racks
Remove all the wire and baking tray from the oven to free them from all the burned-on food. The baking rack is a little bit easier to clean as you can fill up water and add some powerful dishwasher detergent into the water and let it soak for around 30 to 60 minutes.
The wire rack is a little bit more complicated to take care of. The best way is to do a water bath inside a big enough laundry plastic pot. Fill the pot up with water, add either vinegar or dishwasher detergent to the water and leave the wire rack inside for an hour. All the burned residues will loosen up nicely, and it makes it easier to clean all the grids one by one.
In the final step, use a good sponge and wash off all the fine dirt.
Tip 1: Please make sure the water is as hot as possible as it helps to loosen the dirt quicker
Tip 2: In case you do not have any dishwasher detergent, you can substitute with an aspirin or denture cleaner tablet, or cola will help as well.
Step 3: Clean the oven door
Apply on the window of the oven, either a good oven cleaner or use the baking powder method (explanation see further below). Let the cleaner work for at least 15 minutes until you can clean the glass with a good kitchen sponge.
The very stubborn burned-on crust is easily removable with a good cooktop scraper. A toothbrush comes in very handy to clean the grooves in the door, and do not forget all the overlooked edges around the oven door.
Step 4: Clean the main oven areas
Now it is time to clean the main oven. Further below, we show you all the suitable commercial and home remedy products that are perfect for getting the oven shiny once again.
Step 5: Clean the sidewalls of the oven
In case a lot of greases are on the sidewalls, please use a lemon juice or vinegar mix with water and put it in a baking dish. Please place it in the oven and heat it at 120 C (248 F) degrees for an hour.
The evaporating water will now loosen the grease and dirt from the walls to make it very easy to clean the rest with a sponge and clear water.
Step 6: Heat the oven to let the water evaporate
After cleaning the oven with your cleaning product of choice, rinse everything with clear water. At a temperature of 100 C (212 F) degrees, let all the water evaporate again and wipe clean with a dry kitchen towel.
BEST OVEN CLEANERS THAT REALLY WORK!
These are our top two tested oven cleaner recommendations that take away even very stubborn dirt and burnt-on spots.
1. Easy Off Though Oven Cleaner
The oven cleaner is fume-free and comes with a pleasant lemon scent to neutralize all the bad odor that’s inside the oven. This is the though/active version which takes care of everything
Easy Off Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner
This heavy-duty formula is the most powerful and best oven cleaner on earth. Although it does not have the nice lemon scent as the version above, it is the master of oven cleaners. Also, you can use this one for your grill rack as well
Another way to Clean Oven (Unconventional Ways)
- Dishwasher Detergents (or Powder): Mix the dishwasher detergent with water and spray on top of the dirty areas. Let is soak for an hour and wipe clean
- Shaving Cream: Similar to Natron, spray shaving cream on the brunt areas, let it soak and wipe clean
- Laundry Detergent: Yes, even the laundry detergent can take care of the dirt inside the oven. Get a paper towel, dampen it a little bit and sprinkle some laundry detergent onto it. Now, you can use it as a cleaning cloth to wipe everything clean.
BEST NATURAL OVEN CLEANER
After introducing you to the best oven cleaner products, we are dedicating the below sections about how useful natural remedy oven cleaning products can be:
Best Way to Clean Oven with LEMON (also neutralizes odors)
- Cut one lemon in half and sprinkle both sides a little bit with salt
- Use the lemon as a natural cleaning sponge to wipe off all the burned-on residue.
- Use a regular sponge and clean again with clear water
- Take a clean kitchen cloth and dry everything
- Squeeze out completely one lemon
- Use a baking dish for Casserole, add water and the freshly squeezed lemon into it
- Heat the oven to 120 C (248 F) degree for 30 minutes
- The water vapor with lemon will loosen the fat grease
- Take a damp sponge and wipe clean
Also interesting: How to disinfect the kitchen sponge and get rid of bacteria
TIP: Both methods also neutralizes unpleasant odor due to the lemon acid
Best Way to Clean Oven with SALT
A kitchen without salt, it does not exist. Yes, it is essential for cooking, but the salt can also help out to clean the oven.
- Dampen a little bit all the burned-in areas inside the oven with a sponge or cloth
- Sprinkle the salt over the areas that need cleaning
- Now, heat the oven to 50 C (122 F) until the salt turns brown
- Finally, wipe clean the entire oven with a damp cloth
- You can remove very stubborn residue also with a glass scraper or rougher sponge.
TIP: You can also use this method to clean the baking rack
Best Way to Clean Oven with NATRON
Another potent home remedy is Natron. Although it is not widely known in the USA, but Natron can be found everywhere in European supermarkets. Natron is a very good natural substitute for baking soda.
- Use a spray-bottle to dampen the Natron powder a little bit – not too much, though
- Sprinkle the Natron powder all over the bottom and walls of the oven.
- Let is soak for around 10 to 15 minutes
- Wipe clean with a clean kitchen cloth
- Mix water and Natron in a ratio of 1:1
- Stir until the water and Natron are completely mixed together
- Use a brush or kitchen sponge to apply the mix onto dirt spots inside the oven
- Please do not use the combination on heating grids and clean areas.
- Let it soak for around 15-20 minutes and use a damp cloth to wipe clean.
Best Way to Clean Oven with BAKING POWDER
Baking Powder is indeed the classical all-rounder to clean almost all kinds of dirt:
- Mix the baking powder and water, so that is will become a paste texture.
- Apply the paste onto all the crusted and burned areas inside the oven
- As the sodium bicarbonate reacts with moisture and acid, it will foam and loosen the residues.
- Let it sit for around 30 – 60 minutes (depending on how stubborn the spots are)
- As the mixture of baking soda and water becomes hard and returns into powder foam after 30 minutes, it makes it easy to clean the oven with a damp cloth afterward.
Best Way to Clean Oven with APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
Apple Cider vinegar is also a favorite home remedy to clean burnt residue from the oven:
- Mix vinegar and dishwasher soap together
- Apply the paste with a brush on the burnt areas
- Let it soak for about 10 -15 minutes
- Clean the dirt with a clean and damp cloth
- Mix Apple Cider Vinegar and dishwasher soap in a baking form
- Leave the mixture 45 minutes by 150 C ( F) degree inside the oven
- The moisture produced by the mix will attack the stubborn dirt and loosen it
- Wipe clean with a damp cloth
OVEN CLEANING – 10 ADDITIONAL TIPS
Read also: The best ways to clean your kitchen tiles
- ELIMINATE RESIDUE RIGHT AWAY: Do not let burned-on food sit for a very long time. Clean minor dirt immediately after using the oven
- USE ALUMINUM FOIL / BAKING SHEETS: Prevent food and grease splashing all over the oven; it is best to cover the rack with foil or a baking sheet. This method will prevent incrustations on the oven floor. In case you have to use a baking form, do not overfill it and use a larger form as the food content. It has the advantage of preventing sauce or fat from dripping down.
- Add Extra Baking Sheet: If you have an extra baking sheet, place it underneath the tray to catch all dripping down of fat.
- Check your food outside the oven: Inside the oven, do not poke the food to check the current baking status. Pull out the rack and check on the outside, if the food is ready or not. This will prevent the grease from splattering all over the place.
- Oven Cleaning Schedule: Put the oven cleaning on your regular cleaning schedule. It is much easier as if you clean a completely burned-on oven every six months.
- Clean oven elements individually: Take out all the elements such as oven trays, heating grids, and clean them outside in the kitchen one by one.
- Clean Rubber Seals: The most overlooked in oven cleaning are the rubber seals. Yes, they also absorb grease, and you should clean them as well. Otherwise, the oven is not tight and loses a lot of heat. It will increase your electricity cost! Read more: Family Budget Money Saving Tips
- Use Ceramic or Enamel: Baking dishes with these two surfaces are very smooth and hardly any food sticks to them
- Have an oven with special coating: A catalytic coating of the inner wall will decompose grease dirt very easily when the temperature is above 200 C (392 F). For the catalytic surface not being damaged, please use no aggressive oven cleaner, steel wool, rough sponges, or anything else that could damage it. Otherwise, the grease-decomposing benefit will be lost forever.
- Oven with Pyrolysis: It is a new technology, which is better known as the self-cleaning mode of an oven. Here, the oven heats up to over 500 C (932 F) to erase all grease and dirt by using the carbonizing method. Once the self-cleaning program is over, only ash remains, and you can wipe off with a damp cloth after the oven cools down.