Help, I have ruined my hair. What to do now? I am sure the reason why you start reading this article is that you already had or now having to fix your hair color. As a matter of fact, the world is crashing down on you as panic sets in to get it fixed immediately. At a point, helplessness is setting in and you ask yourself: What a disaster, what a nightmare, why me, why now? Really, I cannot believe this! These are the common thoughts running through the mind at that given moment.
Doing a hair do-over for special occasions such as attending a wedding, going on a date, or simply looking beautiful for their spouse/boyfriend should be fun and result in a beautiful result afterward. Being in the beauty business for many years, I am going to tell you the most common mistakes people do and how to avoid doing them:
1. READ AND RE-READ THE INSTRUCTIONS IN DETAIL
The devil is in the detail a lot of the time. Instead of just focusing on the main parts of the instructions such as mixing or timing, focus on the small prints. Undeniably, many times very important advice is given but is never read. Many people think, that all the hair products are applied the same. This is very wrong and chances of doing it wrong are very high. A point that is often overlooked, please do a hair dye allergy test 48 hours color dying your hair.
Read further: How to dye hair at home
TIP: ALWAYS READ THE FULL INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY
You also might like: Get rid of the chemical smell after hair dying
2. DON’T OVERDO IT
I cannot stress this out enough: Do not overdo and stress out your hair. All the hair color dyes are using very harsh chemicals such as Hydrogen Peroxide that will dry out the hair after treatment. Once the hair is dry, it becomes very sensitive and only a slight mistake can make the hair jump off the cliff. Some of the common mistakes:
- Bleaching and dying the hair on the same day. A big No-No for this one as hair bleaching is very stressful and always leave 5-7 days in between dying and bleaching
- Please allow a time gap of 6 weeks between the use of hair straightening/perms and hair dyes
- Do not color the hair every 4-6 weeks. After all, your hair needs to breathe again
- In case you have stressed hair, do not use ANY hair products. By all means, hair loss can occur.
3. THE CORRECT USE OF SHAMPOO & CONDITIONER
BEFORE HAIR DYE COLORING: The day before you plan of dying the hair, do NOT use any a Conditioner. For the most part, Conditioner will strip all the oil from the hair which leaves it very unprotected for the treatment. Some natural occurring hair oil is necessary, though. Instead, use only SHAMPOO for Color Treated Hair the day before the actual treatment
AFTER HAIR DYE COLORING: Right after the application, use only Conditioner and avoid any shampoo on the hair. Allow the hair color dye to settle for at least 72 hours until the hair can be washed with shampoo.
TIP: THE USE OF SHAMPOO/CONDITIONER WITHOUT SULFATES & PHOSPHATES IS HIGHLY RECOMMEND. These two chemicals tend to attack the hair color structure making the color not last very long
4. THE CHOICE OF THE WRONG HAIR COLOR DYE SHADE
A very common misbelief is that many people think that the photo of the box is a done deal. Not so fast, as firstly all these photos are taken by professional hairstylists done to perfection. Indeed it is very hard to reach the same result as advertised. I would highly recommend to just use it as a guideline, but be aware that the result can slightly be different. Do not blame the seller or manufacturer as everyone has a different hair structure.
4. KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PERMANENT AND SEMI-PERMANENT HAIR DYES
There is a high chance that you might not be aware of how a permanent and semi-permanent hair dye works on the hair. I am sure you will say, of course, a semi one will wash out much quicker as a permanent one. In fact, the difference is much more hidden as you think:
- Semi-Permanent Hair Dye just adds a thin layer of color on the outermost layer. This is the reason why it washes out very quick. You can use the dye on every hair color without too much worry.
- A Permanent Hair Color Dye, however, adds the color very deep right into the hair. It will not stop at the outer layer, it will penetrate with the existing hair color of you.
Undeniably, the permanent hair dye and your color will mix. Let’s say you have brown hair and like to change the color to burgundy red. As soon as you apply the red dye on the hair, the kindergarten color mixing basics come into play. Your brown and the red WILL MIX! No question about this!
For last, even if you bleach your hair and it becomes blonde, you still need to be careful. Blonde has actually yellow pigments in it. For example, if you mix yellow and blue, green is the result! Please make sure and do a strand test prior to applying the whole hair color onto the hair.
TIP: If in doubt, bleach your hair prior with a neutral white platinum bleaching to avoid color mixing
Also a must read: How to do a hair dye allergy test
5. BE AWARE OF YOUR OWN HAIR STRUCTURE
Asian, European, and African Americans do all have different hair structures by nature. In reality, when buying a hair product from overseas, for example from Asia, these hair color dyes are made for the Asian hair structure only and not considering the Western at all. Be aware of it as some products might not work well on your hair.
IF DISASTER HITS YOUR HAIR – QUICK SOLUTION GUIDE:
Let’s be honest, even if you took all the necessary precautions, the unfortunate still can happen that your hair ends up pretty bad. Here’s some good advice of what to do and what not to do:
- Do wear a cap in case you need to get out and be ashamed. The hair needs to relax for some time before action can be undertaken
- After the initial shock, take a deep breath and figure out a suitable solution that works for you. Do not make any panic decisions
- Buy a premium hair treatment for damaged/dry hair with natural ingredients such as Argan Oils. This is the best way to restore the dried-out hair before considering additional steps. Here is our Editor Choice:
DONT’S – Avoid at any cost:
- Do not bleach or color dye over your hair right away. It will completely destroy the already stressed hair
- Do not try to fix it yourself if in doubt. Rather visit a hair salon for correct treatment
MORE TIPS: MATCH YOUR HAIRSTYLE WITH YOUR OUTFIT